Our school aims, which form the basis of everything that we strive to achieve, are:
- Develop enquiring minds and a spirit of curiosity.
- Achieve high standards in all areas of the curriculum.
- Be flexible and adaptable for the modern, technological world.
- Become highly motivated life-long learners.
- Develop an understanding and respect for other races, cultures, gender, people with disabilities, religions and associated points of view.
- Have high self-esteem, respecting themselves, others and the environment.
- Learn to co-operate and collaborate.
- Skilfully solve real problems.
- Become balanced, ‘well rounded’ individuals who are culturally aware and welcome cultural diversity.
- Make progress emotionally, morally, physically, socially and spiritually with Christian values as a basis.
- Accept Jesus’ rules for living and the school code of conduct.
- Be part of a caring community serving the school and those associated with it.
At St Mary’s Church of England Primary School we believe in the development of the whole child and work closely with the children and parents to support a positive and reflective approach to challenges, opportunities and experiences. We encourage everyone to be the best version of themselves, making the most of all that is available to them. We are delighted that our school has been awarded the Route2Reslience Accrediation.The children use their charcter muscles to help them reflect on their learning and everyday lives in order to grow and reach up, out and in.
We have a fabulous team of teachers, teaching assistants and support staff who value each and every child in a caring and family oriented environment. Our values are underpinned by the Love of God and are ‘Always present and integrated into everyday life in a gentle way’ (Parent)
There is a strong emphasis on wellbeing which results in pupils and staff feeling well cared for. The inclusive nature of the school enables its pupils to flourish. Attainment in reading, writing and maths at the end of Key Stage 2 is high.” SIAMS 2019
Our school ethos is underpinned by our Gospel message and the embedding of both British and Christian values.
Following a year-long review in 2018/19 the governors, staff and children chose the following quote from scripture to encapsulate the vision for our school:
“Therefore encourage one another and build one another up”
1 Thessalonians 5:11
Each day, in every lesson and every gathering, we strive to base our actions on the core Christian values as revealed by the words of Jesus and recorded in scripture. These values are studied through our RE curriculum, including through exploration of World Faiths. They are embedded through all aspects of school life.
These values are:
In all aspects of school life we strive to promote the fundamental British Values:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect for and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs and for those without faith.
British Values are incorporated throughout the school and feature in all of our topics. Each half term there is a focus aspect. Consideration is given to different aspects in Prayers and children develop their knowledge through homework, reading activities and visitis such as the Year 5 / 6 viit to the Houses of Parliament.